Friday, July 27, 2012

Finally!


Wow...so we haven't had internet here in a few days, and it has been rough! But by the grace of God we got it back tonight and boy am I happy. Today we got to listen to a lecture by a dance teacher from the University of Ghana. It was about Ghanaian dances, and after the lecture we got to learn some dances! For those of you who really know me, you know that I don't have a lot of rhythm and that I am not a good dancer but I can do the dances over here somehow! They are really fun and all the dances tell some kind of a story. I just hope that I remember them when I get back home. In the last couple of days we've also had drumming lessons, listened to a lecture by an excellent professor about Indigenous Slavery, had a big discussion around the unfortunate death of Ghana's President, John Atta Mills and how it will affect the government now and how it will effect the upcoming elections, we've met in small groups and today we had our orientation for our community service! We are doing our community service through the Cheerful Hearts Foundation and the role that I chose was to teach. I am very excited about it! I am teaching 2nd grade English by myself and then I am co-teaching an African American Studies class with one of my peers, Fuadi and I think we are doing 6th or 7th grade. I really can't wait because I love children and I love helping others. We start Tuesday! 


Of all places, my car was in Africa.
I barely saw it in  Washington!





The Beautiful kids of my dressmaker, Betty. I love them!
My friends, Gabriel and Bismark :)
A chocolate-banana milkshake
we found. It was BOMB.
Had me in tears!
Cute school kids we met. They wanted biscuits! (cookies)

My BEST BUDDY Latif and me! Love this boy!!!

5 comments:

  1. Courtney, your sisters and I are enjoying the pics, and all the details about your stay. We all miss you. The girls love your hair, Bella wants it done like that too, so bring some hair home with ya. LOL Anyway, we love and miss you lots, and are very proud of you. See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you guys are enjoying the pictures and everything else!! Tell Bella she's a trip, her hair is almost to her dang butt, she doesn't need extensions, I'll just braid it if she pays me lol. I love you and miss you guys A LOT. Thank you for your post, see you in about two weeks :))

      Delete
  2. Still missing you, and hoping you are feeling a little better today! I know you are homesick, but you are in Africa. Let me remind you of what you have always said; "I always wanted to go to Africa!"
    Make the most of it and make some memories!!!! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know I know I know and I am!! Don't worry. A month is just a lot longer than I thought. I am feeling better today, thank Jesus!
      Love you too :)

      Delete
  3. You are so silly! Glad you are on the mend. Can't wait til you get home. I got some new movies we need to watch!!! Some you will be excited about. Oh,, and you know how you said you had no rhythm, well, you got it from your mama! I started Zumba yesterday, and If you had been watching me, you would have been snorting and on the floor!!!!! Love you and miss you, Mom

    ReplyDelete